an ocean full of paper boats

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Bob Cheeks

E.D., This was a real good one!Report

2. Avatar Dan Summers

You and I have similar tastes in books, Mr. Kain. I think the ethically and morally salubrious aspects of fantasy writing are often overlooked, and it’s always heartening to see that someone else has experienced the classics of the genre with the same effect and affection.

You might find Lewis’s own writing on the topic interesting, if you’re not already familiar with it:

3. Avatar Will

Shout-outs for George R. R. Martin but no love for Rosemary Sutcliff? Wtf?Report

4. Avatar E.D. Kain

Thanks, Dan. I’ll check it out.

Will – I regret to say I have not read Ms. Sutcliff. I take it that I should?Report

5. Avatar Will

Sword at Sunset was quite good – presaged all the bad Arthurian reimaginings we’ve been plagued with.Report

6. Avatar susanne

I loved these same books growing up. This was such great post, especially the part about wanting a world of knights and dragons. And talking beasts, like in Narnia! But seriously, I do think that, along with other input, these books taught me what it is to be a decent person.Report

7. Avatar susanne

Just so I don’t appear to be too strange: for me, it is 4:10 in the afternoon. But I am not in the States, so I’m not sure which time zone your blog is assigning me and saying that I’m posting this at one in the morning – maybe Pacific time?Report

8. Avatar Kyle R. Cupp

Any thoughts on why you prefer fiction to philosophy?

I’m not sure which of the two has influenced me more. When I think of influential authors, both fiction writers (Tolkien, O’Connor, Mark Helprin) and philosophers come to mind. I can say that no philosopher has ever brought tears to my eyes.Report

9. Avatar Bob

Nice post, reveals a source of your world view.

This relates only in as much as he writes fiction – John Barth. But then Giles Goat-Boy and Sot-Weed Factor could fit into a broadly defined fantasy catagory.

And I”m with susanne, what’s up with those time-stamps?Report